What is Nubian Moms?
Nubian Moms is a program dedicated to provide African American mothers with high risk pregnancies, postpartum depression and premature births with access to a personal care navigator that will provide mothers with community resources to help guide them through a healthy nurturing and empowering experience.
What services do we provide?
- Wellness Check-up
- OBGYN appointments
- Treatment Plans
- Goal Settings
- Progress Reports
- Doula Care and Breastfeeding Support
- Bi-Weekly Empowerment Group Sessions
- Food Shelves
- MNsure Application Assistance
- Drop-In Services
Why do we want to help?
We want all African American babies to grow up happy, healthy and successful. Open Cities Health Center is sponsored by the Integrated Care for High Risk Pregnancies Initiative and has partnered with West Side Community Health Center “ Diva Moms” program to ensure all African American babies are surrounded by adults who are able to care for them mentally, physically and emotionally. A community of loving and attentive people is important for the healthy development of all babies.
Did you know?
- Black women are 2 to 3 times more likely to give birth prematurely
- Black women are 3 times more likely to have a low birth weight baby
- About 11,00 African- American babies reside in Minneapolis and Saint Paul
- 88% are born to unmarried mothers including 22% to teens
- 37% do not receive proper prenatal care
- 13% are born at low birth weight
- 59% live in poverty
“It takes a village to raise a child.”